Re: [OMC-Boats] another shifter switch question....

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 22:58:10 -0700

Test before taking out? And risk finding that it doesn't work
thereby ruining my plans to take it to the ramp and launch it as if it
did? Now why would I wanna do that?

Ok latest and greatest - I got it put back together and have nice
consistent power to the green wire when i move the shift lever into
reverse, and nice consistent power to the blue wire when in
neutral. I know, I know - something ain't quite right bout that.
A big part of me wants to take it to the ramp and see if miraculously
forward and reverse work just fine......but that's also the part of me
that didn't test things completely before going to the ramp last time.

I'm pretty screwed here. About another 3 -4 weeks left in season.
No time to order and wait for anything - plus really not crazy about
$200 for new one. SOOOO - is there any reason I can't just leave
the wire that lights up in neutral disconnected, Connect the green
wire that lights up in reverse to the forward blue wire from the
outdrive, and just limp around on the water without a working
reverse? Atleast I would have a working forward to get by with until
the end of season. Not great, not super safe w/o reverse I know
- but I'm more interested in knowing if there is any tech reason that
wouldn't work? I definitely don't want to risk even the slightest
damage to any outdrive stuff, but it seems that it would work just
fine. I guess it would also mean having to move the shift lever
back to accelerate forward, but i could deal with that.