Re: [OMC-Boats] another shifter switch question....

From: Lee Shuster (lib1) <lib1@...>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 16:19:14 -0600

jeff,

Nothing is grounded on the remote shifter housing. The SWITCH is
simply a SPDT type (SONGLE POLE DOUBLE THROW). You send it +12 volts
to it's middle (purple) wire. More it FORWARD and the 12 V is "joined"
to the green wire. In Netural nothin is joined. In Reverse the middle
wire and the BLUE are joined. I believe the middle wire which supplies
the 12 V is purple. On a 5-wire the two white wires are the Neutral-
only starter. They become unjoined when the switch is in FORWARD OR
REVERSE. The are "joined" when the switch is in neutral allowing
current to flow to the starter switch.

This is really pretty simple. I don't know how else to explain it. If
you have disconnected the remote control from the point and it fails
the SIMPLE CONSTINUITY TEST with a light or ohmmeter, then you have a
bad switch and must replace the switchl

As a mentioned earlier the failure rate is very high on these switches
in the Johnson/OMC single-lever control. The likely hood of having a
spare remote control with a DEFECTIVE switch is very high.

Did you not test the replacement switch before taking the boat out?

Lee