[OMC-Boats] adjust screw on top of shifter?

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 22:05:35 -0700

hi, so for whoever is keeping track, got my boat out today for
first time after weeks. temp prob was previous dilema, rewired
about 75% as result. Ran around about about full speed for about 20
mins and temp stayed right at 160!! So yes, as I HOPED, knock
on wood, but it appears the crazy high temp readings on 3 separate
gauges and senders I have been getting for 3 summers now were
ultimately the result of some funky wiring grounding thing. Wow
what a relief!

But of course, another prob popped up (although everything seems
downhill minor from here on). Sometimes the key would crank and
sometimes absolutely nothing. Tracked it down to the shifter.
Pulled it apart, poked around, traced it to a prob with the Pollak
switch that controls forward or reverse. It was sticking, and not
sending juice to the white wire while in neutral. Actually went
further and did some surgery on the switch - drilled out the rivets,
carefully took it apart. All plastic, and a crucial plastic piece
in there is broken in half. Have it in the vice tonight and am hoping
I can glue it back together strong enough to hold. Not fun.
Fortunately, Have an older shifter as back up just in case, but it
doesn't have the ":won't start in F/R" wires.

Anyway, on to my question - what exactly does the adjustment screw
right above the red throttle lever do? it doesn't look broken to me,
but seems to be doing nothing. Is it a friction adjustment for the
lever?

jeff d