[OMC-Boats] temperature probs continued

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 15:17:47 -0700

so after my lake scare of seeing my temp needle pegged, i tested at
the ramp the following weekend. temp still climbed right on up to
200+ in mere seconds of engine being started. yet great water
flow. All happening with brand new temp gauge and sender. felt
engine at sending unit location and elsewhere....hot, but not too hot
to touch and keep your hand on. definitely not 225 degrees.

So for lack of anything else to try, i bought an identical temp gauge
to the one i have, plus a mechanical gauge. But before i started
trying out those new gauges, just out of curiosity i wired up the
previous "new" gauge straight off the battery....by passing my
ignition and under the dash ground. Started up, needle barely
climbed up. Felt engine......hot but not too hot to touch - same as
before.

So it would appear that I might have some sort of issue with either my
ground or ignition at the dash. Which is great because next on my
list was to completely rewire the whole dash and beyond....as much as
needed. New terminal blocks, new wiring everywhere. Getting rid
of the 45 year old original stuff and the previous mechanic's half
assed wiring stuff. Can't wait! So my temp needle climbing
right up upon start might in fact be electrical.

jeff d.