Re: [OMC-Boats] Carb Issue? Or maybe Water issue?

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 15:17:45 -0700

On Jun 28, 2009, at 7:46 PM, heavy wrote:

> Thanks again for the tip Jeff. I replaced the hoses with clear ones
> and could track the water flow in and out of the bell housing.
> Pretty neat.
>
> In my driveway I hooked up the sterndrive to a garden hose and idled
> fast at around 1500-2000rpm. The water temp gradually increased to
> 130, 140, 150. Water flow was great and I felt the hoses to check
> the temperature. Facing the engine, the hose on the lower left side
> was twice as warm as the right side, and consequently the BARR
> exhaust manifold was hot to the touch, the other side warm.

i have the OMC cylindrical manifolds.....but same exact thing with
mine........left one is always hotter than right. we both have that
happening with the same year....perhaps that means its supposed to be
that way? anyone?

cold water comes in on bottom and heated water goes out the top of the
manifolds, so i think it's normal for top to be hotter. but one
side hotter than other side doesn't make sense.

> I waited a bit longer and increased throttle, I noticed the water
> flow on the warmer side slowed down to a stream, the other side seem
> to stay about the same. Very strange. Temp gradually increased to
> 160, 170, 180 before I backed it down.

do you have the pivot cap with the garden hose adapter/connection?
i do. i recently sealed my pivot caps up to the point of zero
leakage....but i have zero tell tale now. not sure i ever had
one. thinking maybe the tell tale was on the stock pivot cap that
somewhere along the line got replaced with the garden hose pivot cap

> Maybe overheating was the reason the boat coughed when running all
> out. We have taken the boat out many times just cruising, and then
> maybe a trip through the speed zone, then back to idle again and not
> a problem. Longer runs seem to be a different story.
>
> -Gas can was vented
> -Airflow was excellent
> -Fires and runs great
> -Carb seems be working fine
> -BARR exhaust manifolds are clean inside and were new 2 years ago
> -water stream out of stern was cool to warm
>
> Maybe a bad thermostat or housing? Why would one side be warmer than
> the other. Anybody got any ideas?

i took my thermostat completely out just to eliminate it as a
potential problem. your probs sound very similar to mine - clean
manifolds, starts great, rebuilt carb, good airflow with cowling
off. however.......i am now leaning towards some electrical thing for
my temp issue (*more on that in separate post)