[OMC-Boats] Carb Issue? Or maybe Water issue?

From: Jeff LaCoste <heavy@...>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:41:39 -0700

After many weeks of slower rides around the lake, last week I took
the 1964 Johnson Deluxe V6 155hp out into open water to run it and
see what would happen. Got off to a slow start and steadily climbed
up to 3/4 throttle for a couple miles when it started to cough, once,
then twice, so we slowed and turned back for the dock. It seemed to
be running smooth once again, so we increased the speed and once
again it coughed and sputtered.

We took off the cover and idled for a bit and after a while it quit
and wouldn't start. We waited and tried again but nothing. We thought
maybe over heating, or no gas. We noticed the Barr exhaust manifolds
were a little warmer than usual, bottom hoses were warm, top were
cooler. Thermostat was replaced last year. We were getting good flow
from the back stream. Water flow seemed a little low in the large
water Gates hose when squeezed.

When cranking the engine we couldn't see much fuel going into the
carb. Fuel was supplied by a 6 gallon tank (temporary while
refurbishing the old tank) connected to the mechanical fuel pump.

The other day I go out to start troubleshooting, get in the boat,
turn on the water to the stern drive, and it fires right up! Go figure.

Could be overheating. Maybe the float needs to be adjusted, if so do
I bend the tang up or down? Last year I replaced the float with a new
one that had a pinhole.

anyone have any thoughts before I try it out again this weekend?

thanks.
Jeff

photo.jpg