Re: [OMC-Boats] carb question....bittersweet weekend outing

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 21:31:27 -0700

> JD: I was going to ask before if you were sure your temp. guage was
> reading accurately, but odds are with it stalling and giving what
> seem like accurate readings later, that's probably not it. Still,
> it may be worth checking to be sure -- the calibration could be off
> or set incorrectly.

i wish.......it was a brand new gauge with a matching sender i had
just bought/installed about a week ago. Switched hoses around and
literallly watched the needle move down from 225 and hold steady at
170. amazing what a reversed hose can do! So now with hoses in
right places I am back up to pegging temps for some reason. Slight
chance it's the gauge....but doubtful. I don't know the mechanics
of the guts of a sending unit, but i'm guessing they don't just fail
all of the sudden....but maybe so?

It was only $16 at Schucks Auto Parts.......worth it for me to get
another as a back up to test things in times like this.

> I kinda like your last idea, though I'm thinking about taking it
> one step further and setting it as a redundant guage. On the bright
> side, at least you got a good day of boating in and hit trouble on
> the way back to the dock instead of the way out.

yep - could've been much worse. Had it not started getting to
choppy to be enjoyable, I would probably still be out on that lake
waiting for a tow back.

> I'll be launching for the 1st time this w/e (work has been brutal --
> the negative side of being lucky enough to still be employed as an
> automotive engineer). Hopefully I won't find any demons this year!

good luck with both! hope you don't work for GM.