Re: [OMC-Boats] 68 Evinrude Sportsman 155 with short shaft OMC stringer drive

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 21:41:03 -0700

> I would like to make this combo work correctly, it's a nice super
> clean drive with good shifting and a nice ball gear, and I like the
> idea of a shorter drive because I can lower it down in my driveway
> and most the way down trailering, as well as having less draft
> needed to operate. Additionally, the short drives are easier to
> come by. Sorry for the story, but any help would be great!

i don't know if i have a short or long drive.......but another helpful
tip I became aware of this weekend: when I bought my boat I
replaced the tires/wheels with some a little taller. I think the
stock size was too hard to find or something, can't recall. So
bought some white spoke steel wheels, had them bored bigger at a
machine shop to match the old hole size, and got some taller tires
put on. Benefit? When you accidentally forget to raise the
motor up, it typically clears the ground no problem. Downside
is you need a ladder to climb into the boat when trailered.