Re: [OMC-Boats] 1ST RUN CHECKLIST

From: Lee Shuster (lib1) <lib1@...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 20:20:55 -0600

Ethan's revisions are what makes this list and exchange of ideas well
worth reading.

And Ethan experiences much colder ambient air/water temps than I'm
willing to experience! (But we've experienced an extremely cold and
wet June). I am also pretty sure the chokes on these GM engines are
NOT really required at the temperatures most of us boat at, to insure
quick starting. As Ethan noted, overly rich idling can wash down
lubrication do more harm than good.

I ran the 307 Chevy (QuadraJet) with a missing bi-metal coil
(divorced) choke rod for several seasons and never experienced any
cold starting issues. I finally located a rod and now I don't see any
difference when inspecting the spark plugs, which is my primary way of
checking for evidence of richness at the high altitude I operate in.

If my boat gets used daily, weekly or even bi-weekly, it always starts
right off without any need to crank over the original mechanical fuel
pump. It has to sit about 2- 4 weeks before any prolonged (more than
30 - 45 total seconds) cranking is necessary. Maybe the fuel
evaporates, I dunno where it goes?

Ethan is absolutely correct you shouldn't spin a dry impeller. (And do
as he suggests, never! I usually only do it if the launch line is
really long and I want to have it immediately be ready to fire up when
I hit the ramp water line, but it's still NEVER a good idea).

I also usually shut off the motor when docked and waiting for my wife
to return from parking the trailer, but then its usually 70 to 90 F
(ambient). It's amazing how little (water) temperature increase
occurs when just idling or underway of say less than 1500 RPM's. (And
getting up to operating temps quickly is more efficient, no argument
there.) Now I'm interested in tracking an oil temp sensor just for
curiosity.

It also amazes me how little the engine manifold temps drop when
docked for a 90-minute lunch after running at operating temps (usually
skiing or tubing). I can get back in the boat and still have 125 F,
there's a lot of mass to retain those btu's I guess. My dog loves
sleeping up on top of the engine cover (when docked), especially when
it's cold and windy.

Lee Shuster
Utah