Re: [OMC-Boats] 1ST RUN CHECKLIST

From: Ethan Brodsky <brodskye@...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 19:53:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Lee Shuster wrote:
> When I arrive at the lake, and I'm in the launch line here's my
> procedure:

That does sound very thorough and effective at preventing problems (though
I seriously question the wisdom of turning the drive over *at all* without
having water going to the pump), but I've been using a much simpler
procedure for ~5 years with pretty good success. I have the 155 hp V-6 and
it has an internal automatic choke built into the carb (though I am pretty
sure it isn't working, as the line is disconnected). Here is my procedure:
  - make sure drain plug is in
  - launch boat with outdrive partially raised, tie to pier
  - turn on blower for a minute or two
  - usually peek under the engine compartment lid for water or fuel
  - lower outdrive entirely
  - turn key to run, give (electric) fuel pump a few seconds to build up
    pressure (can tell because the sound changes)
  - pull throttle all the way back to idle, keep drive in neutral
  - set throttle a tiny bit off idle (maybe 1/2" or so)
  - crank until it fires, usually within 3-4 s
  - if it won't start, pump throttle once or twice while cranking
    (usually only necessary with air temperatures close to freezing)
  - if it starts and stalls immediately, give it a bit more throttle and
    try again
  - once it does start, let it high idle (~1000-1500 rpm) for 30 s
    to a minute while everyone gets on
  - pull fully back to idle (600-700 rpm)
  - push "reverse" button and back away from the pier
  - "taxi" out to "no wake" buoy 200 ft from shore at or just off idle -
    (2-3 minutes)
  - smoothly but quickly advance throttle to full, then pull back to ~3/4
    throttle a few seconds later, once the boat is on plane

I know it's bad to heavily load a cold engine, but I'm not convinced that
warming up at idle is much better. For a modern engine, the best thing you
can do is to warm them up rapidly at moderate power - I'm guessing that's
less true for these 40 year old designs, but for cold-starts at
above-freezing temperatures, there should be little harm in immediate
application of moderate power. Even with older engines, warmup at idle can
actually be detrimental, as they tend to run very rich when cold, washing
away the oil film on the cylinder walls. I doubt there's any harm for
the lengths of time and above-freezing temperatures we're talking about
here, but it's something to consider.

Ethan