Re: [OMC-Boats] AGM Batteries

From: Lee Shuster (lib1) <lib1@...>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 08:26:21 -0600

Michael brings up a very good point relating to how important battery
storage is for extending service life. All battery (regardless of
type) life will be decreased by temperature swings, especially when
not in use.

In the summer my boat sits in a secure storage lot. But the hot sun
can result in temperatures exceeding 110 - 130 F under the canvas
storage cover.
That's where the deshulphators come into play. Aircraft owners know
this and have similar concerns.

Also, it is important to always pull your batteries out of service at
seasons end, give them a slow, but full charge and then "store them in
a cool, dry place," as the Travelling Wilburys used to sing.
Freezing winter temps is certain (premature) death to a battery that
is just sitting and not having its charge level (specific gravity)
maintained.

It also affords you an opportunity to give them a good cleaning.

If you treat marine (especially) batteries properly it's not unusual
to double or triple their life expectancy. Keeping batteries in
service longer and out of landfills is good for the environment too.