Re: [OMC-Boats] Fw: 1966 Johnson 17 foot Deluxe Runabout Tilt trailer

From: Lee Shuster <lee.k.shuster@...>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 08:29:30 -0600

This has been done and it won't be simple or easy.

These trailers were, once again superbly (some say OVER) engineered by OMC. They used an innovative "torsion" suspension system incorporating rubber isolators.
This type of axle is not often seen today on boat trailers, but you can read about them here:

http://www.dexteraxle.com/torflex_axles

You will have to decide on doing a restoration vs. replacement using a more traditional solid-straight axle.

http://www.easternmarine.com/em%5Fstore/axles/?gclid=CIPVgqS7tJoCFRxNagodDBDncQ

One thing to consider: If you increase the axle track width, you will then be able to use larger diameter wheels/tires. That will increase your safe load margins and make replacement parts easier to come by.
It does make the issue of fenders a little more difficult. The original tire wheel combination was a chosen to fit under the hull. Today we commonly kick the tire/wheels outside the hull and allow for a lower center of gravity and lower lauch/retrieve height.

Good luck. Sounds like a fun project.

Lee