Re: [OMC-Boats] OMC Exhaust Manifolds (long post)

From: Lee Shuster <lee.k.shuster@...>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 08:13:26 -0600

It's easy to confuse the 327 (68-69) and 307 (68-74) . In fact they share a common crank and main bearing design, but the 327 has a 4.00-inch bore block (like the 302 and 350). The 307 share's it 3.875 bore with the 283 which it replaced. (There is NOT enough metal in the 307 block to safely bore it out to 327 specs.)

All OMC boats were built with either Buick V8's or Chevy 307's. Other manufacturers (notably Chris-Craft) used the 327, but OMC never did.

To the best of my knowledge the factory never built thru-the transom exhausts on OMC boats. So someone has done a retro-fit. You don't necessarily need to change it back to stock.

But I do want you (and others on the list) to understand the pros and cons of this setup.

I guess I still don't understand why you think you need new manifolds? Are they leaking or cracked? Are their cooling passages blocked? Are they corroded?

With respect to the second remote control (throttle-shifter).....Does it look like this?
http://www.hhscott.com/evinrude/images/cntrl_johnson.jpg

Hard to say what the previous owner was thinking....

Lee