Re: [OMC-Boats] Why the weird port-side transom-hole offset?

From: Lee Shuster <lee.k.shuster@...>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 13:57:20 -0600

So far, neither Ethan or Gregory have come close. Anyone else out their with other ideas?

Should I provide some hints?
I'll wait till tomorrow and let you have some more time to mull it over.

And yes, all OMC Stringer sterndrives from 1962 to 1985 have this unique-weird "feature." Regardless of boat or engine.

(It's difficult to visually detect with the outdrive leg in-place, as the prop-shaft does line-up on the hull's center-lined keel. But get out your rulers, I guarantee you'll measure the diff on the rubber boot.)

Lee

Okay, while we wait for warm boating weather to arrive (at least in most parts of the country) here's an OMC Stringer brain teaser...

In the pictures below of my '66 engine-less Sportsman, it's pretty obvious the transom hole is shifted to port.

Who can explain why? The answer might just fool you. Anyone remember exactly how much offset is required?

[cid:453184119@...]<http://hhscott.com/evinrude/images/SBC/large/DCP_0187.jpg>[cid:453184119@...]<http://hhscott.com/evinrude/images/SBC/large/DCP_0202.jpg>

Lee Shuster
Salt Lake City