Re: [OMC-Boats] 1964 Evinrude

From: Greg Van Vliet <dieseldog6@...>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 21:29:31 -0800

I too have had to face reality that I am not likely going to ever finish
rebuilding my 64 Johnson Deluxe 16. I've got the hull all stripped out and
I've even separated the top deck from it (to allow for easier surface
refinishing). Although I know the work to be done is not beyond my
capability, I have to finally admit that it just hasn't been enough of a
priority for me to justify holding on to "the dream".

The other reality I have to face is that we're not a "boating family" now
and even if I finished the project I'm not sure that we'd really make much
use of it. I'm more interested in a boat for fishing and a smaller boat
with a 9.9 hp outboard will actually get more use since there are more
locations that I could use it in due to lake powerboat restrictions.
Coincidentally a 14 ft lightweight fiberglass fishing boat that actually has
a bit of a tri-hull shape and blunt nose has come up on the local
Craigslist. It come with a 9.9 Johnson OB, a Minn Kota Maxxum 40 electric
OB, a fish finder and 2 deep cell batteries for $1500.00 OBO. I need the
big "smaller" size boat because I have 4 sons that all want to go fishing
with me. The thought of being able to buy a good running craft and be able
to get out this Spring has brought me to the conclusion that this really
what I want now. I also have to admit that the original 90 hp Johnson
Golden Meteor motor may not be worth refurbishing or rebuilding since it's
such a gas pig that I'll have to expect to pay something like $30 - $40 an
hour to run it. That's just too much for my wallet right now. The other
option of getting a newer motor also doesn't fit my budget.

The worst part of possibly letting go is that I don't want the hull to get
junked. I doubt anyone else in my vicinity (Vancouver, BC, Canada) will
want to take on the project, but I'll try and see if anyone is interested.
Of course, if anyone on the list is interested you should contact me. I'm
basically going to give the hull away and sell the trailer for about $500.
The original motor appears to be in good condition (but not running) and
there are spare parts for it from other motors that I've acquired. If I get
zero interest in the hull I may have to junk it ( :-( ) but I'll keep all
the components and offer them to anyone on the list that needs them (for a
low price) before listing them for sale elsewhere.

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Ian Torrey <itorrey@...> wrote:

> No problem Dan. I would like to have done this project, but just too much
> on the go these days. Will keep my ear open for others as well. If you hear
> of anyone into a project, I'll probably be letting this go for a couple
> hundred bucks (or less :)
>

> On 1/27/09 3:37 PM, "Dan McCormack" <mcmack@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Ian
>
> Right boat and right location for me (I'm in Muskoka) but the Sweet 16' I
> have sounds to be in better shape. I use it for my cottage maintenance
> business and am looking around for another one in equal or better condition
> to add to the fleet. You can't beat them for load capacity and general
> utility in such a short boat. Anyhow if another one comes to your attention
> in central Ontario let me know. Thanks very much.
>
> Dan

> Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 14:17:46 -0500
> From: itorrey@...
> To: omc-boats@...
> Subject: Re: [OMC-Boats] 1964 Evinrude
>
> Just west of Ottawa, Ontario (Dunrobin – K0A 1T0). It needs a transom and a
> fair bit of work, but willing to let it go really cheap! Even if I did the
> restoration, it's too small for my family :)

Regards,

Greg Van Vliet