Re: [OMC-Boats] Engine RPM and Boat Speed

From: Lee Shuster <lee.k.shuster@...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:11:12 -0600

Hi Don,

Glad you were able to talk to Roy and get his explanation - - exactly
what I was trying to say last week.

>> This means my tachometer is reading a full 1,000 rpms below what it
should be on the higher end of the scale and is probably the primary
reason why I am going slower than normal. <<

The "lazy" tachometer in your boat explains away some of the
"strangeness" in your reported "RPM vs Boat Speed." Makes me wonder how
many of us are pushing dangerously high RPM's due to lazy, low-reading
tachs? (Eventually valve-train float will be the limiting factor with
the hydraulic lifters pumping up at ~5000 (true) RPM.

Replacing your tach is probably a good idea, but I'd venture to say it's
not "the primary reason why I am going slower than normal. <<