[OMC-Boats] 1966 Johnson Caprice

From: Barbara Bournstein <mtbearbait@...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:08:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone!
I so enjoy reading all of the entries and learning more and more
about these wonderful Ol' Evinrudes and Johnsons.

We have a 1966 Johnson Caprice.
We have owned it for 3 yrs.
Last summer 2007 we got it running for 1st time in 10 years.
* carb was rebuilt (thanks to parts from Sea-Way in Seattle)
* new coil as old one shot keeping ignition turned on (learned that on this
   website!!)
* all new lead assembly and Spark plug terminal assy.
* new distributor cap and lead assy to coil
* replaced points and condensor.
* rewired under dash and installed a horn.
* new ignition installed.
* new CD/radio and speakers installed. (we don't use it)
* steering works well.
* tilt motor works well (sometimes I have to toggle the switch a bit)
* timing was adjusted on testdrive
We took it out 3 different weekends and each time she started right up
and ran nicely. Each time for 2 hours aprox.
At the end of last summer (labor day) we noticed it would run fine for
about one hour and then at full throttle it started missing and slowly
wanted to quit. It would start and It would throttle up fine for about
a minute and want to quit.
No time to get it in to the shop so I winterized it.
* This spring we got her in to the shop and have cleaned the carb again and she runs fine
  for about 1 hour and then wants to quit at full speed or mid speed.
Any suggestions??? Thanks. This is a great website. Bob & Barb