Re: [OMC-Boats] cowling venting

From: Douglas F. Julien, AIA <dfjulien@...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:20:24 -0500

Hi Jeff

The spark arrestor, actually a backfire flame arrestor, is also the air
intake - there's just no replaceable filter involved. It's required by the
Coast Guard on all boats with an engine that could backfire, which, besides
being noisy, shoots flames out of the carburetor.

Gas fumes are heavier than air - which is why the blower intake is at the
bottom of the bilge and why the scoops have 3" hoses directing the incoming
air to the bottom of the bilge when underway. Explosions seem to be rare
and probably involve a fuel leak with lots of gas sloshing around down
there - any experience in this group? (!)

The rumble of that oddfire V6 with the tilt up a little brings a smile to my
face every time...

-Doug Julien