[OMC-Boats] Looking for windshield hold-downs

From: Ethan Brodsky <brodskye@...>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 20:50:10 -0500 (CDT)

I've been repairing some of the broken things on my boat and have finally
decided to tackle the windshield. I've got a '70 Evinrude Explorer and the
left side of the windshield is loose because plastic "hold-down" block
is cracked. This is a piece that mounts to the hull with two screws and
clamps the corner of the windshield in place. Without it, the windshield
and side glass are free to move and are on the verge of slipping out of
their moulding and falling out entirely (happened once over the winter
during a big wind-storm). I tried epoxying the piece together, but it's
under quite a bit of stress and it cracked again during reassembly.

Does anyone either have some suggestions for a better adhesive to try
repairing it, or a source for getting a replacement part? I'm guessing the
only source will be a boat similar to mine that is being parted out, but
I'm sure there is one somewhere.

Here are some photos:

the bow:
http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~brodskye/boat/boat1.jpg

the broken piece:
http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~brodskye/boat/parts/windshield_holddown_left.jpg

the unbroken right-side one:
http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~brodskye/boat/parts/windshield_holddown_right.jpg

In the last few weeks, I've replaced the back seats, remounted the engine
compartment front bulkhead (so it doesn't fall into the engine bay in rough
seas), repaired the "tray" that runs along the side of the hull, and
cleaned the engine, fuel tank, and hull.

My big remaining projects are to repair the front seats and seat-back
pockets (does anyone have a source for the vinyl they use?), fix the
indicator lights on the dashboard, replace the other half of the steering
cable (already did the side that snapped this winter), and reinstall the
fenders on the trailer.

Ethan