Re: [OMC-Boats] Engine color

From: Lee Shuster <lee.k.shuster@...>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 10:36:46 -0600

I've wondered about as well.

Here are my best 'guestimates:"

My 1971 215 hp 307 which was originally shipped in a REINELL has the following original color scheme:

GM supplied parts: Block, heads, Intake manifolds, oil pan are a Battleship Gray.
I've seen the 235 and 245 hp 307's and they were painted Chevy Orange (not Grey) and featured the Z-28/Vette cast alum valve covers as well as thru the transom exhaust.

OMC parts: Intermediate housing, exhaust manifolds, etc are white.

Somewhere in the middle to late seventies OMC switched to painting the engines Blue, probably about the time they lost the Buick V6 and started sourcing both Ford and Chevy engines?

Lee