[OMC-Boats] Hello

From: Larry Burt <panoptic@...>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 15:06:00 -0800

Hello OMC folks

A friend of mine and I are entering into a project to convert a small
boat to be Westfalia-like, i.e. all-weather campable. Restore the
exterior and working parts of the boat and add a tiny galley, fold-
down bed, curtains with extensive windows, etc, everything as light,
weatherable, and compact as possible. We both have extensive Westie
experience, some canoeing/small boat experience. The plan is to
explore/visit waterways along the Willamette and Columbia Rivers in
Oregon, maybe getting up to Washington later on.

The OMC 14 or 16 foot tri-hulls look like a good platform. We're
thinking to go with the smallest fuel-injected 4-stroke outboard like
a Yamaha 40, maybe something smaller. Not sure about whether jet
drive is a good option. Ideally the boat would be gently beachable
under paddle power.

Any thoughts on the suitability of the OMC platforms, engine size,
know anyone who's done such a project, where to find a boat?

Thanks

Larry Burt
Portland, Oregon