Re: [OMC-Boats] new member...1969 SeaSport120

From: Lee Shuster <lee.k.shuster@...>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:30:47 -0700

I suppose anything is possible but I've never heard of the OMC Chevy II
Four coming from the factory with Holley carbs (of any configuration).
Most likely the Holley's you have aren't USCG approved for marine use.
Most of the OMC 120 hp versions used twin Carter, single barrel, RBS'es.
(A pretty awful carb as used on the old Ford Maverick, I once owned, so
I'm not surprised someone got frustrated and put something different on
your boat.)

Earlier (1964-65) OMC also made a 110 hp version of the 153-4 that used
a single, carb manifold using a one barrel, Rochester BC carb (marine
rated). Then in the early seventies (72-74?), OMC finally got it right
when they made a 153-4 (120 hp) using a single twin-barrel, Rochester
2GC, (which is often found on hot-rods with 3 deuces). See model
info/numbers on my website at:
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/stringer_models_72.htm

For the least trouble, if it were mine, I'd look for a used 2GC
manifold, and get a marine rated Rochester 2GC on there. Very versatile
carb, plenty of parts and support out there for it.

Lee Shuster
Salt Lake City