[OMC-Boats] Fiberglass cracking/spiderwebs

From: Kenneth Fingerlos <kenf@...>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 11:38:06 -0700

Ok.. time for an advise question...

My 68/69 Seasport is starting to develop a number of fine cracks in the gelcoat; most don't look terribly deep, but probably penetrate well into the gelcoat.

Obviously they look terrible, and a few are developing below the water line. I'm assuming that this opens up potential for more problems as they spread and allow water into the layers of material.

I'm thinking I can't just fill the cracks because the filler probably won't stick/fill the very fine lines and because I'm guessing they'll continue to spread unless something is done.

What is the proper procedure for repairing these? I'm guessing grind them out and fill with marine-tex? Or should I not be worried about them?

Thanks,

Kenneth