[OMC-Boats] Sportsman 155 Troubles

From: J.J. Ford <jjford@...>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 15:19:39 -0500 (CDT)

JJ,

Sorry to hear about your outdrive issues. I have a 69 Sportsman 155 here in Portland Oregon. As far as parts go, I have had the best luck searching on-line and believe that I have spoken to the folks in seattle mentioned earlier in the e-mail string.

However, for the really hard to find or specific stuff There is a marine salvage yard in fairview (fairview marine, I believe)and other than that I have been going to Harvey Marine in Hillsboro (they seem to be mighty proud of their parts though.... cha-ching $$$$)

My outdrive has been working just fine but have a few issues with water in the oil and corrosion on the cases so I have been doing some investigating on what it would take to do a rebuild, reseal and possibly a gear ratio change to match improved performance I am getting out of my motor, so let me know if you find a good shop or good source for parts here in Oregon. (my initial investigations appears to indicate rebuilding an outdrive with new parts is not an inexpesive proposition, but like you I am looking for economical options)

I plan on being out by the fairview shop on the 4th (it is only a couple of minutes from where I keep my boat) I have been looking for a good excuse to stop in so if you would like for me to ask around in there for you let me know.

Cheers,
B.C.

Sorry for the last post, as I've discovered I need to say where I am <BR>located.<BR><BR>I'm in Pendleton, OR and have a Sportsman 155 that needs at least an
upper gearbox rebuild.  I tore into it this past weekend and found a
shredded gear (no teeth left) underneath the flat plate below the top
cap.  I am trying to save the most money I can, since this may end up
being a project that I'll have to do myself.

THanks again everyone-
JJ Ford