Re: [omc-boats] Re: tilt solenoids

From: Ethan Brodsky <brodskye@...>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 12:21:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Micah Donahue wrote:
> Though I agree w/ others' logic that almost any starter solenoid will
> work, mine happen to look much more like this:
> http://c2c.demo.activant.com/ctoc/index.jsp?
> ID=YEz1rACw.PmFwKlN9CUAKfmRGVhoVYFdF
> (thanks to Ethan Brodsky for the link)

This photo is actually a Ford SW3 starter relay, which was used in
a variety of late 60s and early 70s applications. I believe it is
what is used in my boat. The one downside to using an automotive starter
relay is that they are not Coast Guard approved as "ignition protected."
They're sealed though (to extend the life), so I don't think they can
spark.

> ...than the ones pictured below. I assume as long as I get a grounded
> base and 4 contacts, I'll be fine.
> http://marineengineparts.com/15%20starters%20&%20alternators%20page%
> 2070-79.pdf#search='MES1938M'
> Anyone know why this would have 1 small contact and mine/others have
> 2? That doesn't seem to correlate with whether it's a grounded base
> or not.

The connections you're concerned about are "battery" (large post),
"starter" (large post), "start" (small post), and "ground" (the
mounting point). The fourth connection is often labeled "coil" or
"ignition" and is traditionally used to bypass the ballast resistor
(which reduces spark power during running) so you get a hotter
spark while cranking. I've also heard that "S" serves this function
and "I" is used to retard spark timing, though the former explanation is
more common. I've never understood why they couldn't just attach multiple
wires to the same terminal. In any case, since you are using these
as a tilt actuator, use "S" to trigger it and ignore the "I" terminal.

>Going back one page from the link just above, this item (MES3368M)
>looks just like mine:
>http://marineengineparts.com/15%20starters%20&%20alternators%20page%
>2070-79.pdf

It indeed looks like the MES3368M is the marine version of the classic
Ford starter relay. There's also a part underneath it, ME3367M, which
looks like the same thing without the extra terminal. I'm not sure
what else is different inside.

Ethan