RE: [omc-boats] (no subject)

From: jdood <jdood@...>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:05:44 -0700

Hi Gregory!
Often the ball gears are low enough to pick up water and kick it into
the air through that gap - not a big deal - also, a few models had the
spray hole on the inside by the ball gears and that could be where the
water is coming from if the boat is not low in the water - but the usual
steam hole is on the bottom of the starboard pinion cover. Replacing
the impeller is not a difficult job - and I would say one rarely has to
replace the housing - sometimes the cover plate gets badly worn and
should be replaced, but even that is not very often - and you may find
that the impeller is fine - not cracking or chewed up anywhere - in
which case I would leave well enough alone - or put in a new one and
keep the old as a spare. I am sure if by chance you do need new parts
some one in the group will have the numbers for you – Dave

On mine, the impellor was literally in pieces. All the flappers had
broken and the broken pieces were spinning around in the housing with
it. the “expert” I took it to said the slightest surface damage on the
inside of the housing can cause the rubber to deteriorate fast on the
new impellor….it seemed to make sense, but who knows…..i could’ve been
scammed a bit.

Gregory B. Fell wrote:

I haven’t had my 69 Sportsman 155 out this entire summer. Busy at work
and a lake down 14 ft (Texas drought) to blame. Now with the cooler
fall weather upon me, I’d like to do a few things in my driveway. This
discussion regarding the tell-tale stream of water raises a question of
my own.

1. Near the end of the season last year, I noticed, while at
idle, water was spraying up from the stern drive onto the engine cover.
I didn’t have time to do much more than lay over the back and try to see
where it was coming from. It appeared to be coming from a location near
the ball gears and spraying (not a stream) up through the gap. Any
ideas?

2. I’d like to replace the impeller this winter. I believe the
general consensus this summer has been to replace the housing as well.
I’ve purchased the Selog manual and am ready to go. What I would
appreciate (for my own peace of mind) is advice regarding the correct
part numbers and where you would recommend I purchase them.

Thanks.

Gregory B. Fell
The Fell Law Firm
3300 Oak Lawn Avenue, Suite 700