Re: [omc-boats] Winterizing

From: lib1@...
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 21:13:16 -0600

I would agree with Dave on this procedure, but add one footnote. Be sure the outdrive is in the fully down position so it drains. Some guys also like to fire the engine up for 5 - 10 seconds (dry) to help pump the remaining drops of water around and out the open petcocks, but I question whether that isn't a bit risky to the impeller.

Lee

The underfloor re-foaming pics will be great.

As far as commonality with the three hulls, 14, 16 and 19 (not sure about the 17's).

For the most part 99 percent of the 14's were sterndrives, so the very few 14 outboards could indeed by different.

The 16-ft hull was initially designed as outboard only in 1964 and 1965. 1966, 67 and 68's were all sterndrive so I imagine they made structural improvements to the underfloor and transom areas. The outboard transoms are re-inforced, where my 66 Sportsman sterndrive has a very thin transom, but has the long stringers running parallel to the keel. 1969 and 1970 models with the four-inch deeper deadrise also had underfloor gas tank and possibly a ballast cavity, these were all sterndrives as well. So the vast majority of outboards use the 64-65 Evinrude Sweet-16, Sport-16 hull and floor.

The 19's were all sterndrive from the get-go. No outboards.