Re: [omc-boats] (no subject)

From: David <odin@...>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:20:04 -0500

Curt,
If the temp light is on the first thing to check is the stern drive
while it is running - on the starboard side of the drive you should see
a steady stream of water shooting out - if not shut her down - that
would mean the impeller is not pumping at all. Next, if water is coming
out open the engine cover and feel the exhaust manifolds - they should
be cool enough to hold your hand on - if not and they feel really hot
when the light is on, then shut her down - it would likely be the engine
water pump, or the thermostat that needs attention. As to wintering,
and I know people will flip at this, but I have seven OMC's and have had
them for years and have always just opened the petcocks on each side of
the block - never bothered taking off the water pump hoses etc. - just
make sure the boat is realatively level and the block will drain down
and you will not have any freezing problems. I keep an OMC V6 Sportsman
on the davits on the back of my houseboat - and I have used it at 10
below zero - when I lift it back out of the water all I do is open those
two petcocks - the only real problem I have is remembering to close them
when I go for a ride - of course eventually warm water will creep up to
my feet - a sure, but gentle reminder! Dave