[omc-boats] Re: omc-boats-digest V1 #559

From: Thomas Klauber <tklauber@...>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:37:12 -0400

I need to put my 2 cents worth in about parts. First, owning one of these
boats is a working hobby - you are not likely to find a decent mechanic to
do the repairs. They just don't like the hassle of the old stuff, they're
expensive and it just doesn't seem to work out. The old stuff however is
very durable and will last longer than we will if taken care of. You need to
decide your commitment to the hobby and if you think it is your thing for a
while then start to stockpile parts off ebay. The stern drive parts are very
common and prices range. You need to get a parts manual for your year and
horsepower motor so you will know the part number so you don't get fooled
into buying the wrong part which can happen. If you need to know a number
then run it by this group also. If you need incentive then go price a new
boat. Anything fun costs money but heck what are we working for anyway? You
can have a heck of a lot of fun for your money if you care to put in the
time. Once the boat is back in shape then simple maintainance is all that is
needed. These boats are unique and deserve the time and attention. It is
still nice that the prices have not gone up like all the other things from
the 60's. There is a pride in doing it yourself too.
      Now, parts for the boats themselves is another matter and you are on
your own here and a little creativity will get you a long way. You will
stumble on boats being parted out on ebay etc but you have to be patient.
The hull is really what matters and they are built to last. They are heavy
which is a disadvantage to fuel economy but you save money in other areas.
      Enjoy the last of the summer and it is time to start thinking of that
winter boat project. Don't forget to drain the block. TK ----- Original
Message -----