[omc-boats] fuel pump issues

From: jdood <jdood@...>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:21:13 -0700

I have a Johnson deluxe with the 155hp Buick v-6 engine. Just to get
things completely dialed in, I have been gradually replacing the "bolt
on" engine stuff over the past few weekends. Starter last week. Fuel
pump was this week's part. Ran great last weekend when I had it out,
except that when it gets hot it won't restart (has been a problem for
awhile). So in an effort to work towards solving that problem, (and
just because I thought it would be a good idea), I replaced the 40 yr
old existing fuel pump with a new one, and relocated it outside the
engine compartment just to keep it as cool as possible. The previous FP
seemed to work ok, however it had a copper line running right across the
hottest parts of the engine to the carb. So I put in my new fuel
pump, one that was supposedly "universal", took it out tonight for a
spin. Started up ok. idled ok. cruised slowing away from the ramp
ok. But when the throttle gets to about 1/3 throttle it just bogs down
and doesn't rev any higher. So being that it accelerated just fine
before I swapped the FP, it's easy to see that the new FP isn't doing
what it should. I noticed the fuel lines kind of pulsing too, like it
wasn't really smoothly getting fuel through the lines. So is this just
a matter of fuel pump that is too weak? Too strong? Are there big
differences between FP's? Is there some specific gallons per minute
spec I should be following? Can anyone suggest a specific fuel pump
out there I should use to replace my 40 yr old one? Thanks - I am a
fuel pump novice and need help!

jeff