[omc-boats] New Guy

From: Don Fintak <d.fintak@...>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:43:24 -0500

Hello to this list,

By way of introduction, I'm Don from Wisconsin, and I have looked for Playmate info on the web for several years, but just now found this list!

I have been running an Evinrude Playmate for about 10 years. An elderly neighbor had a '66 and a '68, both with original trailers, that his kids had no interest in. He had used the '68 for many years with his family. When the outdrive went he found the '66 and had his motor put in that one. At least I think that's the way it went. Anyway, the marina that did the work never could get it running right, and they both sat for several years. At one point he offered them to me and I took them. After a carb rebuild and a new interior we were able to use it for a few years before the upper gearcase gave up. It sat a few more years, I rebuilt the engine, bought a gear case from Houston, and it's been back on the water for two years now. Tonight after work I need to install a new starter solenoid, touch up the points, and I can leave the dock again.

I haven't seen many messages yet, so I'm not sure what all you people run, or if I can offer anything. But both the '66 and the '68 came with owners manuals, service manuals, and parts catalogs. So if that's of any use to anyone, let me know.

We've looked at new boats again this summer, but my wife likes the way the Playmate sits in the water, she can see to drive without having to sit on her knees or a pile of PFD's, so we're planning to replace the seats and vinyl on the sides again.

Anyway, glad there's others beside me who drive these dinosaurs (what others on the lake have nicknamed us).

Don