Published Boats Weights vs Reality; WAS Re: [omc-boats] I'm a newbie

From: lib1@...
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 07:49:12 -0600

Just a note about OMC published weights vs reality and alternative trailer
selection: Excellent question and topic, BTW and one that's often overlooked
and misunderstood.

Back in the sixties it was not uncommon for boat dealers to "under-spec"
boat trailers. OMC was years ahead of the industry when they designed and
"over-built" their trailers to "match" their boats. Before boat manufactures
would "package" boats, motors and trailers, the dealer would often try to
"save" the customer money by shaving a few dollars of the deal and placing a
"weakling" trailer under the boat. Result: blown tires, over-heating axle
bearings, and poor or unsafe handling (trailer sways at speed). I know
because I worked at one such marine dealer in the sixties.

Also the Evi/John/OMC boats are typically built heavier than even many
modern boats of similar size and power class. Add some water logging or
extra necessary gear like fuel, anchor, skiis, PFD's and before long you are
a hundreds (maybe a thousand?) pounds over the OMC published weight.

BTW, I have researched and published some of the E/J/O I/O weights on my
website (at least for 16 and 19-ft hulls, scroll to the bottom of the page).
I did this not so much for trailer info, but for calculating maximum speed,
as a function of the vessel's power to weight ratio. See:
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/omc_stringer.htm

As far as trailers go, pay specific attention to the axle and tire load
rating. You'll have to calculate the entire GROSS load, which includes the
weight of the hull (plus any water logging), the engine or power package,
the fuel, the battery, the top and covers, anchors, the paddle, the boat
hook, the ladder, PFD's, skis, ropes, lines, etc. Last winter I took all
this stuff out of my boat and weighed it -- it all came in at 327 pounds.
And we haven't even mentioned the stuff people throw in when taking a long
vacation, to Uncle John's cabin! Let's continue with my example:

I have a 16-ft Sportsman I/O that weighs (empty, with it's small block Chevy
V8) right at 2000 pounds dry. My trailer weighs in right at 700 pounds.
Throw the gear in the boat and a full tank of gas and I'm now a tad over
3000 pounds. My trailer (see:
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/escort_trailers.htm ) has a GVWR (Gross Vehicle
Weight Rating) of 4000 pounds, which is primarily determined by the
trailer's axle, springs and tire ratings. But to get the trailer's true
rated load capacity, you have to subtract the weight of the trailer, thus
you get a load capacity of 3300 pounds. In my case a slim reserve capacity
of only 10 percent.

I'd recommend in the case of you Sweet 16 outboard the following: Let's do
the math: 1) Bare Boat 825 - 1000 pounds depending on waterlogging. 2)
Outboard Motor and all rigging 400 - 500 pounds. 3) Necessary fuel and
safety gear carried in boat: 500 pounds. So you're looking at a minimum of
a 2000 pound capacity trailer. Most likely your weight on the scales will be
pushing 2500 pounds when you factor in the trailer's weight.

And don't forget trailer brakes. Depending on your state laws you'll be over
or at least near the legal limit. Unless your tow vehicle has four wheel
discs and weighs in at 5000 pounds, you'll appreciate the added safety
advantage of hydraulic surge brakes on your trailer. E/J/O again was
light-years ahead of the industry. Their testing revealed a typical
full-size car of the sixties (typically with four-wheel drums) could stop in
a shorter distance with thier trailers in tow than the vehicle could stop on
it's own! That's one amazing fact!

Bottom line, please don't cut corners on trailer capacities. Take advantage
of the forty years of industry-wide experience and get a wide-stance trailer
with brakes, which permits a lower center of gravity for better towing
performance and ease of use on the launch ramp. Any decent trailer dealer
will be able to custom-fit the trailer bunkers and keel rollers to provide
adequate fit and support for your E/J/O tri-hull. Good luck!

Lee Shuster
Salt Lake City