Re: [omc-boats] Tuning engine out of the water?

From: lib1@...
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:31:15 -0600

RE: Water adapters: Tempo Products used to make a spring loaded adapter
that allowed a graden hose to supply water to the sterndrive water pickup,
just aft of the prop. These are virtually unobtainable, unless you lucked
into somebody's NOS. OMC also made a bolt on hose adapter, that replaces one
of the end-caps. These are more plentiful than the Tempo-style but still
fairly expensive (used or new).

I like the radiator flush idea, but have never tried it. Seems like a
sensible, affordable approach.

Of all the precautions listed, the most important one is never start the
engine dry. Even for 10 seconds. The 1200 -1500 max RPM while on "artifical"
water is OK, but some times you're going to blip the throttle to check
various enginme functions. The over-heating of "out-of-water" shift coils is
overly cautious. They just don't get very hot. Unlike your coil ballast
resistor if you leave the key on very long without the engine running.