RE: [omc-boats] Johnson 9" tires

From: Greg Van Vliet <gvanvliet@...>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 10:11:02 -0700

On the subject of tires and load ratings . . .

When I built my trailer for my '65 Johnson Sea-Horse 16 Deluxe I was told
that trailer tires need to have a load rating of at least 75% of the total
(gross) loaded trailer weight. This is because with only one wheel on each
side more than half of the weight will be carried by the outer wheel when
making a turn (especially a relatively fast, tight turn). Centifugal force
causes the load to shift towards the outside during the turn. That's why
the trailer tires need stronger sidewalls and a higher load rating than
passenger tires for an eqivalent weight. This is especially true for the
OMC trailers since they hold the boat up high.

I built my trailer using VW rabbit rear hubs that have a common 4 x 100mm
bolt pattern. I'm just using 13" passenger tires rated to 1350 lbs each.
 The sidewalls aren't as strong as trailer tires but my boat sits very low
which minimizes the load shift in turns. However, I do plan to upgrade the
tires when I get my restoration project completed.

I think upgrading to a larger wheel/tire size is definitely worth doing if
you are going to be towing often and/or for long distances.

Regards,
Greg Van Vliet