Re: [omc-boats] Johnson 9" tires

From: David <odin@...>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 11:11:06 -0500

Losing tread is usually due to low tire pressure more than tire age. I
have used 6 ply a lot and never had a problem - but with my heaviest
boat - 17' Deluxe with a V8 I stick to the 9 ply or better. I strongly
suggest to those out there with the old bolted on bearing caps that you
drill and tap a hole for a grease zerk in the cap - then take a very
small drill and drill a hole in the back side of the bearing housing -
in the grease seal - you can then treat it just like a bearing buddy and
pump her full of grease until it comes out the small hole in the seal -
when full of grease, water will not leak in - then your worries of
blowing bearings and the spindle along with it are over. Dave