Re: [omc-boats] Anyone running battery switches, isolators, or combiners?

From: Andy Perakes <aperakes@...>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:46:18 -0500

Hi, Lee. Still going, though not doing much about boating other than reading the occasional magazine.

I still have the original hook-up on my boat, complete with the "hidden" master power switch underneath the dash (roughly behind the steering wheel. I had a dual battery arrangement in my sailboat until I ditched it in favor of a super-single battery. I found the dual batteries were somewhat of a nuisance to maintain and really weren't needed. For added safety I bought one of those portable battery jumpers -- keep it in the boat during the summer and in the car during the winter. Works great and almost no maintenance, plus I get a portable 12v receptacle. Mines over 5 years old and still running strong, despite infrequent and small usage. I definitely recommend them, just be sure to get something with decent battery ratings over frilly accessories.