Re: [omc-boats] CONVERSION NOTES; was BAD NEWS

From: lib1@...
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:26:42 -0700

Hi Ryan:
> What kind of speed you get with the V8?

I didn't do the conversion for speed. I did it for reliability ( a smooth
475 RPM idle means electric shift spring tabs will last forever) and ease of
maintenance (Chevy parts are everywhere),
and economy (yes the V8 typically uses less gas than the V6). Holeshots
"feel" more powerful.

But since everyone wants to know about the speed; you can view the
GPS-measured results of my V8-powered 66 16-ft Sportsman at:
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/GPS_Speed.htm
(Note: that the test contion altitude above sea level is 6095 ft., also
note: 21:16 gears and 13-inch pitch prop)

Believe it or not, for every 1000 ft you effectively loose 4 per cent power
to changes in aire density) Effectively that reduces a V8 to a V6, or a V6
to an inline-4.
Us high-country boaters are always looking for bigger breathing engines!

The deeper vee design of your 69 -70 Sportsman/Reveler/SeasSport hulls are
roughly 2 - 3 mph faster than the older 64 -68 Sportsman/Reveler/SeaSports.
You can play with the speed calculator at
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/docs/BSLAC.htm My guess is your boat will gain
about a 10-12 percent increase in top speed if you swap the 3.7L Buick V6
for a 5.0L Chevy V8 (210 to 220 hp). That would put you at about 44 -46 mph
at sea level. A stock 5.7L pushing 260 hp might get you to 50 mph at sea
level. This all assumes a clean boat hull and smooth water.

> About changing the upper gear...what about changing the prop instead?

The OMC electric stringer props go from 10-inch pitch to 22-inch, but the
most commonly available sizes are 12, 14, 16, 18, and 20. You will need to
change the upper gear, my Buick V6 had the 25:25, not sure about yours. The
V6 25:25 gears will cause the V8 to over rev regardless of prop selection.
You will basically shorten the useful life of the sterndrive if you bolt up
the V8 to the original V6 25:25 upper gears. Fortunately there are gearing
ratio alternatives: The seventies OMC Chevy I-6 and the OMC Ford V8's used
21:19, 21:18, 21:17 ratio's, while the Chevy V8's used 21:16. see:
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/props.htm For sure, count on changing the gear
ratio, and possibly the prop pitch as well. If you look for a used electric
stringer V8 outdrive, make sure you get the "Long-leg" version and not the
more popular "short-leg."

> You say the exhaust manifold fits the V8?
Just to clarify: There are numerous sources for Small Block V8 Chevy NEW
water-jacketed Marine manifolds; OMC, Barr, OSC, Volvo, MerCruiser to name
but a few. Used OMC Chevy V8 manifolds are easy to find on eBay or Marine
salvage yards. Stay away from manifolds that have been exposed to saltwater
use. The Buick and Chevy manifolds DO NOT interchange and same goes for V6
and V8 manifolds.

You can read more about the conversion project I did on my boat at:
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/Report_V8.htm

Lee Shuster
Salt Lake City