Re: [omc-boats] refurb and parts

From: Ethan Brodsky <brodskye@...>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 13:34:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, jb wrote:
> i have seen some reference to some restoration efforts. where do you get
> parts?

If you have a local industrial parts shop, I've found that is one of the
best places to get bearings, o-rings, and seals. I use Motion Industries
(https://www.motionindustries.com/) - if you live in a major city they very
likely have a location near you (you can look online). Many of the
mechanical components in the drive are standardized parts (i.e. not
specific to OMC) and Motion either stocks them or can order them (which
usually only takes 1-3 days and doesn't even cost extra). The guys at the
counter can usually figure out what you need if you bring in the old part,
but I usually try to figure it out myself before coming in.

McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/) is a good resource for looking up
parts. Bearings are usually labeled on their casing, shaft seals also
often have a part number stamped on them (then check out the manufactuer's
website to find out more info, or check out the Chicago Rawhide
(http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/) catalog, which is online as a PDF at
http://www2.vsm.skf.com/usa_english/node917.aspx. For o-rings, measure the
inside diameter, outside diameter, and cross-section width and try to find
the nearest match in the standard selection (Buna-N is usually an ok
material). OMC seems to use some weird o-rings that don't correspond to
standard sizes, but you can often go up or down one and find something
usable.

You'll be surprised at how cheap things can be. With o-rings you typically
end up with a bag of 5-50 for under $5, and I paid $12 for a bearing that a
boat dealer wanted like $50 for.

If you have the drive entirely disassembled, the other option is to buy a
seal kit. It comes with replacements for nearly every seal in the unit. I
think they run $50-70 for the upper and about the same for the lower. I
didn't do this, because I didn't have the confidence to remove and
reinstall all the seals myself, but I've heard it isn't too hard.

Otherwise, here's a few good resources I've used:

Great Lakes Marine http://www.glmmarine.com/catalogs.html
 Download the OMC sterndrive catalog and the appropriate cross-reference
 catalog. They have nearly every major component and most minor ones
 available new. They don't sell directly, but it's a great resource.

Paradise Enterprises (WA) 800-546-1950
  GLM dealer I've ordered parts from

william carroll <bilcin_54@...>
  He sells all sorts of used OMC parts on ebay and can often source
  hard to find major components (ball gears, shafts, etc...)

Ron <osssv@...>
  Also an ebay seller of major components

Other GLM dealers I haven't tried:
  Fox Marine (CA), 562-983-6500
  Royal Marine Supply (NV), 702-294-5005
  TC Electronics (Canada) (online)
  Pugley's Marine (NY), 585-265-0750
  Valentine Marine (FL), 800-997-5881
  also NC and LA

Ethan

----
<A HREF="http://www.pobox.com/~ebrodsky/"> Ethan Brodsky </A>
UW FutureCar Team Paradigm: Two-Year FutureCar Challenge Winner
UW-Madison Clean Snowmobile Team: Winner of the 2004 SAE CSC