Re: [omc-boats] Tilt Relays & SST Props

From: lib1@...
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 08:13:17 -0600

Re: [omc-boats] new boatNope, don't need it. I did a little checking around. NAPA wanted $25 for theirs, which would have worked, except the mounts were slightly different. I got the genuine OMC relay locally for $28.00. I'm not paranoid, but who knows how well the automotive relay is sealed against arcing? Got her in the water one day this weekend, but winds were pretty stiff.

It took me about 15 minutes to swap it out the DOWN Relay. Not difficult, but it helps to draw a little diagram before you start disconnecting wires. I highly recommend to anyone that you swap one relay at a time and retest before doing the second relay. I plan on doing the UP relay next weekend and saving the old relay for a spare.

AS far as SST props go the downsides are they are expensive and come in fewer sizes: 13,15,17,19. They can usually be repaired, as can aluminum, but as they are tougher the repairs are usually easier.

Hopefully the shear pin would protect the prop-shaft. The up sides to SST's are better performance (1 mph top end and better holeshot) and better economy as the blades don't distort under power, therfore there's less slippage.

If anyone needs a OMC electric-shift prop (AL or SST any pitch) , I'd recommend contacting either of these sources (pretty sure they'll have what you need):

Hansen Marine, ask for Roy or Eric @... 801-466-4731

or

A-Rock Propellors, ask for Scott @... 801-281-8288

Lee Shuster