Re: [omc-boats] Tilt Relays & SST Props - New Orleans thoughts

From: LeeHazen@...
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:24:42 EDT

In a message dated 9/6/05 9:14:17 AM Central Daylight Time, lib1@...
writes:

<< It took me about 15 minutes to swap it out the DOWN Relay. Not difficult,
but it helps to draw a little diagram before you start disconnecting wires. I
highly recommend to anyone that you swap one relay at a time and retest before
doing the second relay. I plan on doing the UP relay next weekend and saving
the old relay for a spare. >>

Don't throw the bad relay away - they can be disassembled, cleaned/repaired,
and re-used. Just drill out the 4 rivets holding it together and use a points
file to clean the contacts. If the coil is open, it can be unwound and
re-wound
with new wire or the existing wire if the break is near the end of the wire.

Same thing for the original blower/bilge pump assembly. The motors can
be re-built. The motor is very similar to a GM blower motor for the heating
system in their cars.

As for using stainless props - I've never had a problem with a lower unit
being damaged from using Stainless propellers. I think that the props
have an energy absorbing rubber center that helps prevent damage from
a strike to a blade. Plus, a properly working tilt clutch will allow the
outdrive
to swing up after a strike. If your tilt clutch isn't slipping, you need to
service it.

One working correctly will move upward if you apply full throttle in reverse.
You'll hear the exhaust if it does.

Regarding New Orleans:

I woke up early with New Orleans running through my mind. I think I know
what happened in the canal that failed - 17th street canal:

A barge was tied up at the north end of the canal when the storm arrived to
the east of the canal. When the 100+ mph winds started arriving from the
East as the storm moved northward, the barge broke loose and was blown
to the west side of the Canal. As the storm moved northward, the winds
shifted to the south and then to the east blowing the barge down the canal
and then across at a goodly rate of speed into the concrete wall that is
on top of the levy. The wall broke loose and fell into the neighborhood
and released the water into the "hood". The barge probably continued
on a southerly course along the east edge of the canal and is most likely
at the south end of the canal waiting to be found. OR it could have breached
the levy and fallen into the neighborhood along with the wall of water.

One black person was heard saying he heard what sounded like dynamite
being blasted just before the water started coming into his neighborhood.
He thought that the whites were deliberately flooding him. That sound was
probably the empty barge hitting the concrete wall very hard.

What do you think?

Lee Hazen