Re: [omc-boats] Prop for Evinrude Sportsman

From: lib1@...
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 02:32:15 -0600

Hi Skip,

I am not familiar with the 311280 p/n prop, can you remember where you found that reference number?

The 16-inch pitch props I know about are:

      381020 12.50 16 AL OMC
      381186 14.00 16 AL OMC
      380188 14.25 16 AL OMC
      012092/PR122 14.00 16 AL Michigan

I had a 1966 150 hp (early style four-bolt top cap) Sportsman and it is true that the earlier p/n props had a 1/4-inch larger diameter. You can look at the hub and see that it has a slight taper from front (larger) to rear (small). The much smaller 12.5-inch diameter prop (p/n 381020) was only used on the 1966-1968 100 hp E/J outboards and will also fit, but wouldn't be as efficient). I'm 99 percent sure that either the 14.00 or 14.25 style props will interchange on any year electric stringer drive with the "fat" gearcase (that being the HD 120's, 150/155, on up), even though the catalogs made the 1967-up distinction, after the switch to five-bolt top caps. (The little V4 90 and a few of the light duty 120's used the smaller lower unit gearcase similar to the 75 and 90 hp outboards and they use a much smaller 9.5 or -inch dial prop.)

The 14.25-inch diam (p/n 380188) 16-pitch are fairly common, as I believe they typically shipped as standard on some models. I think I've got new one in the garage, that I can send you just to make sure it fits. You might also consider running a 17-inch pitch SST 172492 that are 14.00-inch dia. The Stainless steel props came along around 71-72 and are worth 1 mph more. Because they don't distort and are more efficient under load you can move up in pitch one inch and not loss anything on your holeshot, while gaining that extra 1 mph and slightly better fuel economy.

See http://hhscott.com/evinrude/props.htm for more complete prop info.

Contact me off-list with your address and offer and I'll look and see what's in the garage for you. I might also have some other props I 'm willing to sell if others are interested.

Lee Shuster
Salt Lake City