[omc-boats] Re: omc-boats-digest V1 #343

From: Thomas Klauber <tklauber@...>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 00:02:41 -0400

Sue handled the order for my mooring cover for the Rogue earlier this year.
I had to send my old cover so they could figure out the proper cut or
pattern. I inquired about the vinyl tops and Nielson said they did not make
them originally that they were made in Toledo so I called every canvas
company in Toledo and found a fellow named Jerry at Action Canvas and Boat
Cover 419-241-1181 who told me the company that made those tops went out of
business and that they had bought the equipment ( there are no patterns
remaining )and Jerry said he had made a few vinyl tops for Evinrude boats. I
tried to talk him into a vacation at Myrtle Beach if he would come down and
fit a top for the Rogue but didn't get too far. My top and probably the
others has a unique rubber seal at the front that hooks in a channel at the
upper windshield. I was looking for more of that rubber stripping hoping he
had some - no luck. He said he uses thick clear vinyl strip that folds into
the channel and that is what I did when I made my prototype top using the
old one as a pattern. I have contacted several vinyl extruder companies
trying to get a remanufacturer of that strip and got nowhere quite fast. I
gave up but would be willing to help if anybody wants to get that going
again. My vinyl strip is blue color. I still have my original vinyl top but
it is shrunk and has dry rot. They were made very well otherwise and a top
is nice to have on these hot summer days. TK