[omc-boats] Re:RPM, top speed, etc.

From: LeeHazen@...
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:42:26 EDT

In a message dated 5/31/05 7:57:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
zachstanley@... writes:

<< It rides with a slight lean to starboard and seems a little slow
 - 30 max by gps. I wonder if the tach might be off - I dont have
 the throttle buried, but the tach reads 4200. I've noticed that

I'm not sure, but isn't the red line about 4500 rpm? I'd try a shallower
pitch
prop so the engine can run right up to the red line and develop max power.

The cleanliness of the hull bottom makes a big difference in the top speed
of those tri hull boats - as much as 10 mph.

I seem to remember my 69 Seasport 155 running close to 40 mph using
the boat's speedometer.

If there is just one person in the boat (driver) you may see a slight lean to
the
right when underway.

I had a horizontal fin made for my boat and it was good at getting the nose
down when planing and helped minimize porpoising.

Lee Hazen - Old Hickory Lake, Hendersonville, TN