[omc-boats] Oil drain

From: Ethan Brodsky <brodskye@...>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:26:10 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Gregory B. Fell wrote:
> I have a 1969 Sportsman 155. I drain it into the bilge, as well. It's a
> stretch to reach the oil pan drain plug. Luckily, I have long skinny arms.
> I think it would be ideal to have a plug with a drain hose lead down to the
> bilge drain hole. It wouldn't be as messy. I haven't been able to find
> anything yet, though. As for the oil filter, place a plastic zip lock bag
> around it while unscrewing it. The oil will drip into the bag.

My plan was to get an additional drain plug, drill and tap it for 1/8" NPT
(1/4" NPT if it'll fit), then install a brass valve and hose nipple on the
plug. That way, I could put a hose running from the nipple out the bilge
drain plug hole, then open the valve and drain the oil with no mess.

The last time I did it, I tried using a funnel and hose out the drain, but
the hose popped off the funnel and I couldn't seal the funnel against the
engine anyway, so I ended up dumping all the oil in the bilge. What a
mess!

Here's the part I was looking at:
  McMaster-Carr 7910K11
  Brass Fuel Shut-Off Plug Valves
  Maximum Pressure: 30 psi
  Maximum Temperature: 250 degF
  Valves have a solid bottom and Viton O-ring sealed brass body. Standard
  valves are recommended for use with gasoline, oil, kerosene, LP gas, and
  gas/air mixtures. UL-listed valves are for fuel oils (1 & 2) and LP gas.
  UL/marine valves are for marine fuel lines. Connections: NPT
  1/8" female to 1/8" male, 2-11/16" length, 360 degree rotation
  $11.91 each
  http://www.mcmaster.com/itmLookup/itmLookup.aspx?sesnextrep=511947359210965&searchstring=7910K11&tab=FIND#.
The hose barb would be 5346K61 ($5) or the like, and I'd probably put in a
90 degree elbow (e.g. 4429K159 - $4) to avoid sticking down too far.

Anybody got a spare drain plug?

Ethan

--
<A HREF="http://www.pobox.com/~ebrodsky/"> Ethan Brodsky </A>
UW FutureCar Team Paradigm: Two-Year FutureCar Challenge Winner