Re: [omc-boats] Introduction (new owner of 1970 Evinrude Explorer 16)

From: LeeHazen@...
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:35:44 EDT

In a message dated 4/25/05 3:04:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
brodskye@... writes:

<< 1. Perhaps someone knows of a aftermarket supplier for
drain plugs that fit this engine - I could easily adapt one.

I've had a cable operated oil drain which fit the drain hole of my Seasport
155.
The oil drained down into the bilge and out through the drain plug. Messy,
but easy. Another option is a drill operated drain pump that inserts in the
dipstick hole. Then, there's the oil filter to replace which also makes a
mess.

<<3. How much grease should go in the chamber between the upper and lower
unit?

I think maybe 4-6 pumps of your grease gun should do it. I don't think you
can
put too much grease in there as it will just ooze out of the bearings.

<< 4. What are people doing about running in shallow water? When I bought
 the boat, we didn't know about the ball gear wear issue, so we often ran
 with the outdrive tilted up - I'm guessing that accelerated ball gear wear
 quite a bit. >>

Run only with the out drive in the full down position. Run in a raised
position only in an emergency or to back the boat off the trailer or put it
back on the trailer.

Be sure to lubricate the tilt clutch assembly. You might want to remove
the side cover to observe the condition of the clutch. If it has been dry a
long
time (without oil) you might want to disassemble it, clean it, lubricate it,
and
re-assemble it. The function of this clutch is to allow the out drive to
swing
up should you hit an obstruction such as a log or tree stump. If it won't
slip, then something is going to break off the out drive.

As I remember, the dipstick on the V-6 engine is on the right side near the
middle cylinder. There should be a hole in the block where it was inserted.

<<8. Has anyone installed oil pressure gauges on this engine? Did you
replace the transducer for the warning light, or put a sender in another
port? Same for water temp.

I think you can find a "Y" type fitting that will allow both the oil and water
sending units and guages to be used.