[omc-boats] OMC V6 Motor, sterndrive, & 16-ft trailer -- (long msg)

From: lib1@...
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:25:46 -0700

Hi all,

I'm going ahead with my 66 Sportsman V6 to V8 re-power project. I have decided to follow Lee H's good advice and also replace the sterndrive so that I get the "proper" 210 hp V8 upper gear ratio. That means I'm about to pull the complete (and well-running) Buick/Kaiser 155 hp V6 motor, intermediate box, and high-profile sterndrive, in short the entire power package. The motor's never seen salt water use and doesn't leak oil from what I can tell. It's even got a freshly re-built marine-grade Delco starter and your choice of a freshly rebuilt Rochester 2GC carb or a Holley 4160, 4-barrel (new-last season). You can read all about the Buick V6 at: http://www.hhscott.com/evinrude/buick_v6.htm

The engine will be de-winterized, compression checked and run-up before removal. I'll take any photos or videos of it running in the boat and the OMC dealer will vouch for it's operating condition before it is pulled from the boat. Everything's included. Spares include an extra set of OMC exhaust manifolds and elbows and your choice of HEI or original coil/points/distributor ignition.

I am hoping to find it all a good "OMC-family" boat home and avoid the hassle with eBay (Even though I've been a eBayer for 7 years and have 99.5% positive feedback). I am trying to avoid parting the engine out as it's really in too nice a shape to do that. I can include the sterndrive as part of the package or if someone wants it separately, lets talk off-list. The sterndrive functioned well last year. It has one season's use on a rebuilt water pump that the previous owner had installed. No known issues other than the ball-gears show some wear, but probably still have a couple of season's life left in them, provided you treat them well.

I've also decided I can't afford to restore the 1969 16-ft Johnson trailer that I acquired over the winter. I'm putting two, brand new, 8-ply 6.90/6.00 x 9 inch tires on it, so it can be easily moved and calling it quits. If someone wants it -- please let me know. It's complete, but rough looking (it really could be made nice with some paint and elbow grease). It does have the optional hydraulic (disc) surge brakes, status unknown. Buy the complete engine/sterndrive and haul it all home on your "free" trailer. Otherwise it will be sadly scrapped.

I'm motivated to find a good home for all of the above. Everything's located in Salt Lake City, Utah. I might have time to assist in delivery to the West Coast or Denver. My ability to store this stuff will evaporate by mid-summer, so if your are interested, contact me off-list and we will work something out, first come-first serve. Simply put, my lust for more power (especially as gas prices are going up) could be your gain.

Call me if you have questions during my work day at 801-585-5552, or respond OFF-LIST to leeks@...

Lee Shuster

PS -- I will answer any questions to the omc-boats list -- but I will not negotiate offers on the list. If you have a legit interest, contact me directly, off-list, first-come, first serve. Thanks for the bandwidth.