[omc-boats] Re: omc-boats-digest V1 #249

From: Thomas Klauber <tklauber@...>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:15:26 -0500

The motor is a 210 HP V8 with 307 ci with the original flat top mallory
distributor and the standard points setup. I prefer the older "less reliable
points" as I can fix those off shore if something happens. I carry a spare
set of points and a feeler gauge and can do it out on the water (at least I
hope I can having never done it in an emergency). I dont know about the
electronic ignition and I want to keep it simple. I am willing to sacrifice
whatever horsepower and or mileage you are supposed to get. I dont run
races or at full speed often. As for oil in the gas (the proverbial molasses
oil) - I had a water leak into the oil and took the engine out last winter
and removed the intake and heads and decarboned them and left the
crankshaft, pistons and oil pan alone. I really could find no damage due to
the water but I wouldnt advise running it long like that. I spent a lot of
time looking for cracks in the heads and what part of the cylinders I could
see with turning the crank to lower each piston. I couldnt find the source
of the leak and assumed it was in the intake to block gasket and reassembled
it and had no leak. You should run a compression check and mine were a
little off but I was having some valve maladjustment at that time so I was
all confused about the compression readings. It is a simple fix to do the
intake gasket with the motor in and forget the removing of the heads etc. I
would run a compression check and pull the intake and get a magnifying
glass and snoop aroung the channels maybe youll get lucky and find the
problem - look closely at the head gaskets for signs of a blown head gasket
which can lead to water in the oil - reassemble and change the oil after a
short run. These motors are pretty bullet proof if taken reasonable care of.
Good luck. TK PS - I put a fresh coat of paint on the stern drive today and
hope to put it on this week and will be ready to go - with fingers crossed
of course!