[omc-boats] 66 Sportsman

From: Paul Hamilton <phamilton@...>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:53:32 -0600

Hello All,

I purchased a 66 sportsman in mid-summer after much deliberation and advice from several of you. It's in great shape and has had the carb. cleaned and adjusted and a new fuel pump installed. The bilge pump works intermitently however. I removed it and cleaned a lot of grime from the bottom of the unit and it worked fine for awhile. While I had it out cleaning it, it seemed to have some type liquid in the lower portion of the housing. Has water seeped into the housing or is their an oil of some type inside. I ask because it appeared as if there is a sealant applied to the bottom of the pump and some of that is flaking away. Is there anything I should be concerned about regarding some preventive maintanence here? I also need a prop retainer as mine cracked after a tow cable became entagled around the prop. Any thoughts on a source? Thanks. Paul