[omc-boats] Re: omc-boats-digest V1 #228

From: Thomas Klauber <tklauber@...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:38:51 -0500

Congratulations on your purchase. I think I know what sort of bilge pump you
are talking about. Is it black with a white blower on top? That is standard
OMC issue and I was able to get some spare parts from Sea Way Marine in
Seattle like a new screen and delrin blower but they are rare and I have not
seen one or any parts on ebay for the several years I have been following.
The pumps are a neat design both pumping water and air and I have not come
across a suitable aftermarket replacement short of buying both a pump and
blower separate. I would take the pump apart CAREFULLY - there are several
screws and you will need to remove the small clip holding the water impeller
on to get the motor out which is a standard 12 V.auto type motor which is
probably waterlogged and hopefully salvageable. I have taken these motors
apart and cleaned them up and they work great in the ideal case scenario.
They get seldom use so likely will not wear out in our lifetime but the only
thing between the motor and the pooled water in your bilge is several little
"O" rings and they leak with time and whatever leaks in, leaks out, taking
forever. They are probably standard size "O" rings and you might could find
ones at an auto store. The main thing to remember if you are going to use
the pump is to keep the bilge water level below the motor level as much as
possible as they are probably just going to leak. This is not really
practical for most folks so you might invest your time and $ in putting in a
replacement pump and you can get them cheap. Dont forget to install a blower
too. I have been down the no blower path with a previous Sportsman I had
when a kid - the bilge fumes ignited - BOOM! I was alright as the bilge
compartment contained the "blast" but the boat burned to the waterline. The
blower was working but there was a small gas leak and we stopped while
skiing and when I cranked it up after a moment it exploded. I pushed the
drainplug out and the boat would not sink due to the flotation material.
Hated to lose that boat. Luckily we were close to shore. Boating in any
capacity is an extreme challenge. The other item I think you need is a
plastic prop nut? You can get those plenty of places. I recently picked up a
used spare on ebay and will sell it to you for what I paid plus postage.
Good luck with your project - work hard as Spring is coming - time to go
boating. Tom K.