Re: [omc-boats] New member

From: David <odin@...>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:00:52 -0800

Hi Joel,
I suggest the first thing you do is change the oil, then remove the
spark plugs and turn the engine over by hand several times to get
lubrication started again - it is not uncommon for it to be frozen a bit
and may require a breaker bar and socket on the drive shaft pulley to
get it moving. once it is free and moving easily you can put a battery
on it and spin it over - at this point you need to get a compression
gauge and check the compression in each cylinder - each should show from
140 to 160 lbs. If any cylinder is under 100 lbs you need to consider
having a valve job done on it. Next you need to look at the gas,
carefully inspect the fuel tank and lines - you can pull the top of the
fuel tank and probe the bottom of the tank - you may find a thick sludge
- it will need to be cleaned out. Often the old rubber fuel lines crack
and can leak - not a good thing - be sure to replace any such lines.
Now, once the fuel system is ok, I suggest you add one quart of "Sea
Foam" engine cleaner to the fuel, and another quart to the engine's oil
- with Sea Foam, you do not need to change the oil - you can leave it in
- Sea Foam does a great job of cleaning varnish etc. from valves,
carburetors etc. - The 155 hp. V6 is a great engine - if compression is
up you should be fine. You may have a hose connection on the sterndrive
so that you can start the engine without putting it in the water - be
sure before starting that the hose runs a while to get water to the
impeller - running it without water after it has sat a dried out will
damage it fairly quickly. Good Luck Joel. Dave